Situated on a Roman Road leading to « Mont Sainte Odile », the village of Ottrott, first mentioned in 1059 was split until 1850 in two different communities. Ottrott-le-Haut belonged to the religious power whereas Ottrott-le-Bas belonged to the landowners of the Ottrott castles. That’s why you’ll find two churches in Ottrott.
Ottrott le Haut and Ottrott le Bas are two nice villages
This song is really right! Ottrott was born in 1858 of the merger of two old commons. Ottrott le Bas and Ottrott le Haut.In memory of this event, the city hall, built in 1851, shows on its facade the arms of the two primitive communes, which had completly different destinies through the centuries. The first municipal council was elected on sep th 1858 and the fist mayor of the new commune, Mr Théodore de Dartein.
The upper village (Ottrott le Haut) was first ownership of Monastery Sainte Odile. The Monastery of Niedermunster, a dependency to Mte Ste Odile had, according to the documents from the 13th century the right of patronage on the church of Ottrott le Haut. In the 15th century the convent gave half of the village in fief to the family Uttenheim zum Ramstein. Ottrott le Haut became further on the property of the bishopric of Strasbourg, than joint the stronghold of Schirmeck. At the Herrenhof, in the rue du Général de Gaulle was perceived the tithe for the covent.
Ottrott le Bas by contrast has been linked contribution to the history of the owners of the castles Lutzelbourg and Rathsamhausen. The knights of Lutzelbourg (or Lucelonbourg) who built the two castles in 12th century, first lived in Ottrott le Bas, where they exerced temporal power, while the clergy of Obernai practised spiritual power. They were also those who built the Chapel St Nicolas in Ottrott le Bas.
Originally, the two castles were imperial fiefdoms. When the male branch of the Lutzelbourg was extinguished, their goods rose to their parents, the Rathsamhausen, with the exception of a third od Ottrott le Bas and "previous castle" which became the property of the sires d'Andlau. These gave their property away to the Rathsamhausen Zum Stein in 1393, who later became the Lords of Ban de la Roche and Rothau. They rebuilt the castle of Lutzelbourg demolished by the English mercenaries.
The youngest branch of the Rathsamhausen, called "Rathsamhausen Ehereweiher" inherited the "posterior castle". They sold in 1442 at the same time as a third of Ottrott le Bas for 1200 guilders, to Henri de Hohenstein which gave it to its son-in-law Daniel de Mullenheim. In 1577, the Rathsamhausen Ehrenweiher repained the castle through payment from the Mullenheim. The castle was called Rathsamhausen. They possessed than whole Ottrott le Bas and the two castles which were inhabited from the 17th century on by officers, responsible of the stewandship. When the last Rathsamhausen Zum Stein died in 1689, Louis XIV gave the fief of Ottrott le Bas to the Field Marshal de Chamlay.